Friday, March 21, 2008

That First Year: What I Wish I'd Known

March 21, 2008



This Friday's meme at The Heart of the Matter asks: what do you wish you'd known your first year of homeschooling?

I haven't read any of the other blog participants' answers yet, but I can guess many of them have the same theme: I wish I'd been more relaxed. That first year was hard in so many ways, as I know it is for many people. We'd just moved to a new house in a new city (translation: I had no friends). I had a new baby mid-year and a 3-year-old plus my second-grader. My life was wonderful; I was thrilled with my little family and thrilled to have them all at home, but I was cranky in that "I'm so tired and I have no friends" kind of way. I should have been more relaxed and just enjoyed them more.

And academically, well, I was very happy with 90% of my curriculum (Sonlight), but I distinctly remember feeling as if I had to do every single thing (even though Sonlight clearly says, "This is just a suggestion! You don't have to do everything in this guide!"). Jesse hated dictation and narration. And math--phew. I'd make the poor boy do every single problem and time him on his Saxon drills, as suggested. I hadn't yet learned that he wouldn't miss out if I didn't do every single thing.

Fortunately, I learned quickly. By year two I found my pace and factored in "flexibility" as our family motto.
Boy, my younger two kids are lucky. I am a squishy relaxed mama now. I can't even fathom giving Duncan, my first-grader, a timed worksheet. My 5th grader likes being timed for math drills, but a 10-year-old who enjoys being timed is a far cry from a 7-year-old who gets a tummy-ache from being timed.

Relax. As the Chinese proverb says: "Tension is who you think you should be. Relaxation is who you are."


Post A Comment!.....


Comments

Friday, March 21, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by Margaret (68.42.29.163)

Great post. I agree with your sentiments!

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Friday, March 21, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by Anonymous (205.188.117.19)

I can totally identify with how you feel. I am dealing with similar feelings now after moving and starting to home school. I feel like I never leave the house! I'm working on it though.

Melinda
http://www.shoresend.blogspot.com

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Friday, March 21, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by Anonymous (98.218.29.229)

LOL, I ditched the Sonlight teacher's guide a few months into pre-k. I ended up switching to KONOS, which has a hundred times the ideas. Go figure.

Deb
www.AsWeWalk.typepad.com

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Friday, March 21, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by lcourtneymom (208.104.149.27)

I definitely think I should have been more relaxed and just enjoyed my dc being little! People ask me know if I am going to "do real school" with my soon to be 4 yo next year. You know, I'm just going to let her be a little kid as long as she can. She's already learning so much.

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Saturday, March 22, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by Anonymous (12.215.135.18)

Yup, as I read through all of the posts, "Relax" is the number one anser!! ; )
It is SO hard to do...but, time does seem to be the antidote.
Thanks for sharing!! : )
Heidi
www.jhcckkm.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.