Friday, April 11, 2008

SmallWorld's In Just-spring Mudluscious Poetry Contest

April 11, 2008





Two of my favorite things happen together in April: the full-force of spring and National Poetry Month.

National Poetry Month was established by the Academy of American Poets as a month-long, national celebration of poetry. From their website: "The concept was to increase the attention paid-by individuals and the media—to the art of poetry, to living poets, to our poetic heritage, and to poetry books and magazines. In the end, we hoped to achieve an increase in the visibility, presence, and accessibility of poetry in our culture."

And spring? Well, I love spring, "when the world is puddle-wonderful." I've already blogged about spring in SmallWorld here and here and here. And a highlight of this spring? Two new babies in our family!

In celebration of "the white cloud's intricate maze, And the blue sky's beautiful sheen," I am hereby announcing SmallWorld's In Just-spring Mudluscious Poetry Contest. It's really quite simple. Just copy and paste this orange-lettered section onto your own blog along with a poem that in some way celebrates spring. (Copy the contest photo above if you want, as well!) Leave me a comment with a link to your contest entry. The poem doesn't have to overtly use the word "spring," but it should in some way evoke the feeling of spring. If you don't have a blog, just leave a poem in the comments.

I'll be running this particular contest until April 10, so you've got plenty of time to find just the perfect poem. I will randomly choose a winner, who will receive a box in the mail filled with some of my favorite spring things (think gardens, good smells, and prettiness, unless the winner is male, in which case, scratch the good smells and pretty things).


* All poetry quotes above are from various e. e. cummings' poems.

Post A Comment!.....


Comments

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 - well

Posted by onfire (206.132.58.200)

not only did I participate (like there was any question) but my poem somehow managed to stay the way it was meant to be posted. I had to re-post it once, as it read as one long run-on sentence (this posting of poetry on HSB really makes me nuts ... you know this by now, right?)
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/onfire/508514/
enjoy.

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by Anonymous (71.221.67.204)

At first I was afraid you were going to make us compose a poem. :) But I'm sure I can *find* a spring poem that I love. I'll be working on that...

Heidi @ Mt. Hope

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 - I'm in editing mode

Posted by QueenoftheHill (97.66.84.74)

I think you misspelled "Mudlucsious" [sic] in the title of this blog. ;-)

Now is the perfect time for you to tell everyone what I forgot to do for last Saturday!

Edited by QueenoftheHill on Tuesday, April 1, 2008 at 9:43 PM

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Thursday, April 3, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by JenIG (67.72.98.45)

I don't like poems
I dislike Spring
I can't stand rhymes
Nor allergings

The love of spring
Is just a fad
When things start blooming
I go blooming mad

I start to wheeze
My eyeballs itch
I turn into
a blooming witch

And this is why
I will not play
But please come over
To my house today

How's that right off the top of my head? Ok.. per your comment... the only way anybody ever comes over is they email me and tell me the day that they are planning on stopping by. Now that you know how it's done, i'll be expecting an email from you

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Thursday, April 3, 2008 - :)

Posted by CarpeBanana (151.201.122.40)

count me in on this brilliant contest. back to add: it occurs to me I should have left my address: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/CarpeBanana/509992/

Edited by CarpeBanana on Friday, April 4, 2008 at 9:24 AM

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Thursday, April 3, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by chickadee@afamiliarpath.blogspot.com (69.128.131.177)

i'm terrible at poetry. but i'll think about it.

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Friday, April 4, 2008 - i'm in...

Posted by DrHibiscus (24.151.178.103)

and I bet you can guess whose poem I chose :-)

you can find it here: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/DrHibiscus/510655/

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 - I'm Running Late

Posted by briarwren (129.101.30.19)

But here's my contribution.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/briarwren/512730/

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by Anonymous (71.221.67.204)

I finally got around to posting my entry. Thanks for the fun contest!

Heidi @ Mt. Hope
http://mthopeacademy.blogspot.com/2008/04/poetry-of-april.html

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 - I was able to find...

Posted by anotherblogonthefire (216.221.68.123)

what I think is the best spring poem I have ever read!
Check out my entry here:

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/anotherblogonthefire/513398/

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by Anonymous (71.221.67.204)

Thanks for you comment on my blog. My niece is 11. :) She's pretty good, huh? I think so, but I'm prejudiced. I thought you would enjoy this non-spring poem she wrote (whipped out, actually :)) when she was 10:

Autumn
by Ilex

Trees loose their leaves one by one.
Summer is now over and done.
Pumpkins ripen.
Winds blow.
Rain falls,
And rivers flow.
Flowers die
And wither away;
Every day foggy and gray.

My boys got a huge kick out of memorizing that poem this past autumn. They still look outside and sigh, 'every day foggy and gray.' Even the 3yo, LOL.

Fun stuff.

Heidi @ Mt Hope
http://mthopeacademy.blogspot.com/

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Thursday, April 10, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by StillHisGirl (216.249.75.230)

I'm in!
http://stillhisgirl.blogspot.com/2008/04/prayer-in-spring.html

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Friday, April 11, 2008 - Morning (spring) poem

Posted by Jennifer in OR (69.88.229.219)

Hey, it's midnight on the west coast, I posted this at 12:00 and 27 seconds, so about a half minute too late. :-) Enjoy.

http://www.diaryof1.com/2008/04/11/morning/

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.