Monday, June 9, 2008

To Mexico, At Last

June 9, 2008

These past few days we've been blessed by getting to spend time with our sweet friends, the Hancocks. Casey was our minister for the first five years that we lived here. And beyond that, Casey and Teri were our wonderful friends. We shared a lot of joys and a lot of sorrows together during those five years. When we came to this area, Libby was just 9 months old and Laurel was not quite two-and-a-half. Here they are now, at nine and ten.


Corbin and Duncan were born just 7 weeks apart, and they were inseparable for those first 4 years. Here they are now at 7. I was so afraid that Duncan would be lost without Corbin when they moved away to the midwest two years ago.


The Hancocks just bought a Wii, so there was a lot of Wii playing inside during this steaming hot weekend. I even had my first Wii experience. Predictably, I didn't get it. But everyone else had fun!


Teri and I enjoyed a weekend catching up and talking about their future, because that's what this trip is all about. Three years ago Casey and Teri began making plans to begin mission work in Mexico, and now they are at last headed to begin this next phase of their ministry. For the past couple of years, they've been raising support and partnering with a church in Cincinnati. I remember my father saying to me many years ago, when Casey was in his second or third year of ministry at our church: "They won't be here long; I bet they'll be on the mission field within five years." As always, my father knows best.


It is hard to be sad when God's work in the Hancock's lives is so evident. Still, I can't help but get weepy thinking that the next time we see them--when they are on furlough in 4 years--that Libby will be 13, Corbin 11, and baby Ian, who we've only just met, will be nearly 5. But greater than the sadness is the joy in knowing that, at last, they will cross the border into their new lives.

I'm seeing a short-term mission trip coming up in the next couple of years...

Post A Comment!.....


Comments

Monday, June 9, 2008 - Happy/Sad with you

Posted by Jennifer in OR (69.88.229.219)

What a bittersweet moment with your friends! I'm glad you had this time with them.
www.diaryof1.com

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - Don't forget...

Posted by anotherblogonthefire (216.221.68.123)

there are short-term mission opportunities in PNG, too!

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by Anonymous (216.70.179.150)

I'm so glad to read this! :) I'll give the link to Tina, too. I can't believe the kids are that big; I remember when they were born.
Cindy

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Thursday, June 12, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by Jess (91.177.221.22)

Hi there. I have been reading your blog for a bit now, and feel compelled to reply to this post. I'm a military wife, so I know all too well the pain of saying 'good bye.' I could have written your post many times over, only changing the names, reasons, and locations.

I just wanted to offer hugs and prayers of support.

Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.