Friday, July 17, 2009

Kick-off Week

I can hardly believe it's already time for our support group's annual Kick-off. I had the luxury of being out of the planning loop for the past two summers, but I've been back on the council this year after a two-year hiatus. Watching from the sidelines was nice.

I am blessed to live in an area with a large and vibrant homeschooling community. In our group alone we have about 230 families, representing over 600 school-aged kids. We offer loads of activities and probably the most popular feature is our enrichment class program. It's really fantastic, and we have an amazing enrichment team who work really hard to put it all together. Having been on the team years ago, I know what an incredibly hard job it is to schedule the classes, stick by your schedule, and experience the wrath of parents who "just can't find a class for my child at that hour" or who "just don't think the classes look as good this year as they did last year." Wah. Really, the vast majority of people are tremendously grateful and thrilled with the yearly line-up.

But I digress. Our kick-off is coming up on Tuesday night. I've been taking early sign-ups for my classes and signing my kids up early (teachers and council members do get special privileges!), so I've had school on my mind a lot this week. The kids and I even spent an hour or so straightening up our school rooms.

But first I really have to end last year. I have yet to document our year of American History, write reviews of some books, or even write out what all the kids did this year. I am woefully behind.

Then again, it's only July. It's all Walmart's fault with their back-to-school sales. We have over a month left before we ease back into our bookwork, and two months until most of our activities kick back into high gear.

After this week's kick-off, I'm heading back into summer.

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like you guys have a wonderful homeschool group. That is a lot of families! I wish we had something similar here.
    I was surprised to see the school stuff out a Walmart - but I was happy, because we're starting in 10 days. And no, I'm not ready yet. It looks like I have a busy week ahead of me!! Enjoy the rest of your summer break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do have a very active home school group, Sweets! How wonderful! We have a large number of home schoolers here, too, (not as many as you, though!) for which I am so thankful. The girls love our co-op classes and American Heritage Girls should be starting soon!:) What classes will you be teaching this time? I am not sure if I will be teaching at our co-op this session... Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad for the wonderful support group here. We probably wouldn't be homeschooling if you all weren't here. Looking forward to hearing about your school year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great homeschool group! I, too, feel like summer's ending because of all the "back to school' sales. Even in our public schools, there are almost four more weeks left before school starts. Hold off the sales and let us enjoy our summer!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.