Monday, June 6, 2011

Summer Reading

I've read a bunch of good books in these first five months of the year. If you're looking for summer reading material, here are my favorites so far this year. If you click on the link, you'll get my review over at my reading blog, SmallWorld Reads.

Bloodroot by Amy Greene. This one is just, oh, soooo good! I was sad when it was over.

March by Geraldine Brooks. This is the story of Mr. March, father to the four Little Women of Louisa May Alcott fame. Fabulous.

Mennonite in a Little Black Dress
by Rhoda Janzen. This one's on the racy side—consider this fair warning! I laughed so much in this hilarious and sometimes sad memoir.

Born Under a Lucky Moon
by Dana Precious. I also laughed a lot during this memoir of a woman who thinks her family is too crazy to meet her boyfriend.

My other two favorites I haven't yet reviewed, but they were fantastic: The Postmistress by Sarah Blake and My Name Is Mary Sutter by Robin Oliveira. Mary Sutter is perhaps my favorite book of the year thus far.

I'm halfway done with my current book and have a huge TBR list to choose from, but I'm also looking for suggestions. Have any good books to recommend?

6 comments:

  1. Im reading The Postive Power of a Mom and its wonderful!!!!! Also just starting Money Secrets of the Amish, this looks interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just added them to my list- thanks! I could not get into the Mennonite book, though. Some parts offended me and I did not like the main character. There were some very funny parts, though, too!:) I am getting ready to read The Duggar book (nineteen and counting??) as I see her a lot around town. Michelle is really sweet. I loved Black Heels to Tractor Wheels! It's the love story of the Pioneer Woman and the Marlboro Man.... Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. I vote that you add a sortable list for your reviewed books. We have such similar tastes; I would love to steal all of your 5 starred books for my TBR list.

    Our lists of books enjoyed mesh pretty well. Here are a couple that I don't think I saw on your list, but I think you would enjoy:

    City of Thieves by David Benioff

    The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melanie: If you check out my reading blog, I have To 10 lists on there from the past few years! I bet we have a bunch of the same!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rain Village by Carolyn Turgeon. The words are soulful and the story is deep. It's sort of magical.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Edited to add: I read and loved Bloodroot and Born Under a Lucky Moon from you reviews. I always look forward to your book reviews.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.