Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Making Community Service Part of Your Homeschool


DSCN0976
As Martin Luther King Jr. said, “Life’s most persistent and urgent question is: What are you doing for others?” Indeed, although as homeschoolers we have opted out of traditional public education, that doesn’t mean we have opted out of being part of the community at large. One unique but often overlooked benefit of homeschooling is that we have the opportunity for regular, deliberate acts of service.

My husband and I are both leaders in scouting organizations (Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts for him, American Heritage Girls for me) that encourage community service. I frequently get emails from members asking for ideas for service. People want to serve but sometimes don’t know how or where to do so.

Opportunities are everywhere, for every age. But where do you find them?
{Come on over to The Homeschool Classroom to read the rest of my article on community service!}

4 comments:

  1. I agree that community service is important. For us, it is a part of 4H. We've made dog treats to donate to animal shelters, blankets for Project Linus, cookies for a homeless shelter, and we do Santa gifts every year for needy families/individuals. We also fund raise. I think it really benefits kids to see that they can help, and that they should help when possible. And I agree, homeschoolers have a great opportunity for continued community service!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your sweet comment. It's good to hear from you. I haven't been over here for a while and enjoyed several of your posts, especially Reason Enough. Right now my kids are on a camping trip. Tomorrow they will not be getting up before dawn to hop on a bus and sit at a desk all day. They will wake up to the sky and trees and stay out there all day. And that is definitely reason enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that this is important for our kids. Like all of us, they need to feel they're making a meaningful contribution. I haven't done this with my younger kids yet. My oldest kid volunteers weekly at the SPCA and helps me with Meals on Wheels once a month. I like Gillian's suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Really enjoyed your blog. I just bookmarked it. I am a regular visitor of your website I will share It with my friends .Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.