Friday, December 9, 2011

Weekly Wrap-Up

I don't know how 5 weeks have elapsed since I last did a Weekly Wrap-Up, but they have. Perhaps I should aim for a monthly wrap-up.

November was packed with activities, including a week of service, a get-away book club weekend for me, a performance at the kids' performing arts co-op, finishing up our other co-op classes, a field trip to see Dickens' A Christmas Carol, company, and, of course, Thanksgiving—which meant our oldest was home from college. In the midst of all that, my uncle had a stroke and then surgery, so we've been wrapped up in concern for our beloved uncle. My parents have been making trips to and from Illinois to be with him.

The first week of December brought our annual Mother/Daughter/Grandmother Christmas tea. My own mother was in Illinois and missed the tea, but I provided one of the table settings with my grandmother's (her mother's) china.

We had about 160 attend the tea, which is probably my favorite AHG event of the year.

Our co-op had a Christmas dance for the teen group. The girls had so much fun picking out dresses. They are so beautiful.


We got our Christmas tree on a 65 degree day. That was kind of weird.


But we did have some snow a few days later. On this particular day, I drove Duncan and some friends down into the mountains for an all-day program at the Great Smoky Mountains Institute at Tremont. I love living here and having access to all these awesome opportunities!

And then we had all of our regular homeschooling at-home studies. Duncan and I finally finished studying Japan. We are really proud of our Japan lapbook. I think we move on to S. Korea now, but I'm actually not sure. Duncan has been zipping through pre-algebra, although I tend to stretch a lesson out over 2 days since he's just in 5th grade. I've also been more intentional about doing grammar every day, and he's zipping through that, as well.

Laurel has really hit her stride with her high school co-op classes. She did a research paper and presentation for her health class and got a fabulous grade, and her science class average is fantastic. Good grades are very motivating for her, and I've seen her confidence grow. I know it's hard to follow in the footsteps of a brilliant older brother (I had a few of those), but I think she is finally realizing that she also has a sharp, quick, wonderful mind.

Things are winding down now for the rest of the semester. I had my last British Lit class until mid-January. We had such an awesome time reading and discussing Romeo and Juliet. I have the absolute best group of students! I have them this nice present today:

That is their Romeo and Juliet exam, which they have to get back to me within 10 days. I thought it was a really awesome exam, with lots of options for a final project.

Monday is Laurel's last day for her other high school classes, Tuesday is our co-op's Christmas program, Jesse gets home from college on Wednesday, Thursday we have caroling with American Heritage Girls and Cub Scouts, and then we had to Chattanooga on Friday for our class trip to the Challenger Mission Center for our Voyage to Mars mission.

But in spite of all that and some personal grievances with annoying people that threaten to be joy-suckers, I feel tremendously relaxed and ready to just sit by the fire, stare at the Christmas tree, and enjoy my wonderful life.

Linked up with the Weekly Wrap-Up

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Quite a bit going on, huh? What a fabulous idea - the tea party! Beautiful china! And that Japan lapbook is awesome! (Homeschool Share is such a great resource!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like we've been missing out on a lot lately. The kids were in MN for a funeral on the day of the tea, and Larkin was really sick on the Tremont day. But we did get to enjoy that 65 degree day, which was really nice. Looks like you've had a full and fun last few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog this week for my Weekly Wrap-Up. I would love to be able to go the the Smoky Mountains some day...they are so beautiful in your photo.

    Sounds like you had a busy week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't let those joy suckers get to you :) You phrased that so well! Now, not to laugh in their faces when I see them and think of that description.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.